Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Freezer Cooking Update = Healthy Pancakes!

I have really enjoyed trying out a lot of new freezer-friendly recipes lately and wanted to share a new one with you!

Last week I made these Whole Wheat Cocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes and they were wonderful!  I even had a friend over to try them and she asked for the recipe right away!  Be prepared if you make them - the recipe I had said it would make 20 - 25 pancakes, but I definitely got at least 40!!  Needless to say, we have plenty of pancakes to last us for a while!


Ingredients:

5 1/4 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c oatmeal
3 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp salt
5 1/4 c milk
3/4 c butter, melted
6 eggs, beaten
9 tbsp sugar
1 bag chocolate chips (I didn't use quite a whole bag)

Directions:

1.  Combine flour, oatmeal, baking powder and salt in a LARGE bowl.
2.  Beat milk, butter, eggs and sugar together.
3.  Make a well in center of dry ingredients.  Pour in wet ingredients and mix.
4.  Stir in chocolate chips.
5.  Heat large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. 
6.  Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot skillet and cook.  (I actually used a 1/4 measuring cup to pour my batter.)

To Freeze:
Cool pancakes.  Lay on cookie sheet(s) and flash freeze 1 - 2 hours.  Place in freezer bag before returning to freezer.

To Serve From Frozen:
Reheat in microwave or toaster oven.  Or, lay on cookie sheet and heat at 350 degrees for 5 - 10 minutes.


*original recipe taken from http://www.moneysavingmom.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment