Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Freezer Cooking: My Ambitious Plan! **NOW WITH PICTURES!** :)

I'm sure by now you know that I am definitely into saving money!  But, I am also very interested in saving time as well!!!  Recently, I've been reading about freezer cooking on several blogs I follow and have decided I need to try it out! 

In a nutshell, "freezer cooking" is taking one afternoon and making several meals that can be frozen for future use.  Typcially you would find a recipe that can be doubled or tripled and save them in the freezer.  This is so nice when it comes to dinner time and you don't have to cook the main dish because it's already done!

Since my girls are going to Vacation Bible School every morning this week, I figured this would be a great time for me to try out my freezer cooking skills!  Here are the things I'm planning to make between now and Friday:

10 Breakfast Burritos (see recipe below)
Apple Chips
20 Mini Cinnamon Swirls
40 Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
12 Blueberry Muffins
1 French Toast Casserole (divided into 2 pans)
32 meatballs

This is a very ambitious list, so we'll see how it goes!  (Notice I'm not trying to do it all in one day!)  :) 

While the girls were napping yesterday, I made the Breakfast Burritos.  I thought these would be good for a quick breakfast -especially for my husband who is often on the go in the mornings.  This was a simple recipe.  It's also nice because you can pretty much use whatever ingredients you have on hand.  I happened to have some bell pepper and deli ham that needed to be used up.  Also, I only had 10 tortillas so I halved the recipe and it worked out great!  I can't wait to try them out - and to see if my husband likes them!  Here's the recipe if you want to try it:

UPDATE:  I tried one of these today and it was very tasty!  If you try it, let me know how you like it!


Breakfast Burritos

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped green peppers
18 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped ham
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
20 flour tortillas

Directions: 

1.  Saute onion & green pepper in butter.


2.  Beat eggs & milk together.  Mix in ham, salt & pepper.  Pour into skillet with veggies and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are set.


3.  Mix in cheese and let melt.


4.  Scoop a little less than 1/2 cup egg mixture onto each tortilla.  Fold ends up and roll up.


5.  Wrap each burrito first in a paper towel and then in aluminum foil.



6.  Place in a freezer bag and freeze.




To Serve:
Remove foil and microwave in paper towel 1 min. 30 sec. to 2 min.

(Recipe taken from http://www.moneysavingmom.com/)

1 comment:

  1. I used to make these all the time when my hubby was leaving for work at 3am. I didn't want to get up to make him something so this was perfect. He loved them!

    ReplyDelete