Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Baked Apple Chips - an easy and CHEAP snack!

First of all, I realize it's been quite a while since I've posted on here, but I'm glad to be back and hope to be posting more regularly now!

One thing I'd like to do on this blog is not only provide you with deal information, but also give you information on cheap and easy ways you can better manage your home.  (Not that I'm an expert in this is ANY way, but I'm trying...)

With Fall upon us, I've been doing a lot of baking (I know my close friends and family are shocked by that comment!) and have been really craving those traditional fall flavors - pumpkin, apples, etc.  Apples especially can be picked up so inexpensively and you can make so many things with them!

One recipe I came across recently was for Homemade Baked Apple Chips.  I'm always on the lookout for a healthy, crunchy snack, and these looked so easy to do, I decided I would try them!  They really were simple to do, though I did revise the original recipe a tad. 



Here's what you do...

1.  Take as many apples as you like (I used 2 medium sized apples and it was enough to fill up a regular baking pan - I used a baking stone), cut them in half and cut out the core.  Then, slice each apple half into very thin slices.

2.  Lay the slices individually on the baking sheet.  You can sprinkle them with a little cinnamon if you like.  I tried them both ways, but preferred the ones that were plain.

3.  Bake the apples in the oven for an hour at 275 degrees.  At this point, take them out, peel them off the pan, and flip them over.  Let them sit for just a minute.  If they are crispy enough for you, go ahead and leave them out of the oven.  If you want them crispier, you can put them back in the oven for a while.  (The thicker your slices, the longer they will need to cook.  My slices only needed an hour and they were plenty crisp!)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

This is a super simple, super CHEAP, and super healthy snack!  What a great after school treat for the kiddos or something different for their lunch box!!

Let me know if you try them and how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment