Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Thrifty Thursdays!

This week's shopping trips were to Kroger and Walgreens!

Kroger has another mega sale going on this week.  There were a few great prices on things like FREE pasta, FREE Motrin, and really cheap yogurt!  I stocked up on yogurt for the kids (it can be frozen!) and also found some batteries on clearance which ended up being super cheap after coupons I had! 

Total value of 49 items: $125.76
Total amount spent out of pocket after sales and coupons: $42.22
Total amount saved: $83.54 or 67%

I have to tell you about one thing that happened while I was at the store.....I bought 4 bottles of Motrin PM (20ct) at $2.99 each and had a manufacturer's coupon for $6 off any 2 bottles.  When the cashier scanned the coupon, it beeped because the total amount of the coupon was $.02 more than the actual sale price of the Motrin.  (This happens to me a lot at Kroger.)  I wasn't worried about it until the cashier began to tell me that I couldn't use the coupon because the picture of the bottle of Motrin on the coupon showed a 40 ct. bottle instead of a 20 ct. bottle!  Well, of course, I could feel my blood pressure begin to rise at this point.  I knew that it made no difference what picture was on the coupon, but that it was the actual wording on the coupon that mattered.  This particular coupon only stated that it excluded trial sizes.  I knew it was a perfectly valid coupon.  I tried to nicely explain to the cashier that she was going to have to override it because the amount of the coupon was more than the amount of the item, but she still wouldn't do it.  She went and asked one manager who didn't even look at the product or the coupon and told her that she couldn't take the coupon.  I stood my ground however (this was $12 we were talking about!) and told her nicely again why it was beeping and that I knew the coupon was perfectly valid.  She finally called over another store manager who looked at the coupon and told her it was fine and to put it through.  The moral of this story it....you have to choose your battles.  If that had been a 30 cent coupon and there was a line behind me, I most likely would have said, it's fine and just cut my losses.  However, in this case, I stood to loose $12 and I decided to stand up for what I knew was right.  I tried to stay calm and be polite while stating my case and, in the end, it paid off!  Don't be afraid to ask for a manager when your cashier doesn't want to take a coupon that you know is valid!!

Okay...off my soapbox and onto my next store...Walgreens.  The only thing I got at Walgreens was 4 Right Guard deodorants.  These were on a buy one get one free sale at $3.99 and I had two buy one get one free coupons which took off $3.99 each (the original price of the deodorant).  This made all 4 bottles FREE leaving me to just pay tax!  Yay!!

Did you get any great deals this week?  I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment